Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: autobacktrace (was: concerning the use of assert)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: autobacktrace (was: concerning the use of assert)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 17:17:39 +0200

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 11:04:56AM -0400, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:

> I think this misses the point that you want to do the backtrace and
> continue execution within the running server context. The mentality
> that says you need to abort games everytime you want to log an error
> message is pretty user-unfriendly.

I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference, you can start gdb,
atach it to the pid of a current civserver process, stop it,
print the backtrace, continue, and detach.  But I don't really
see what to look for while running, and keeping the debugger attached
all the time may slow the game down too much.  I never tried this.

--
Reinier