Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: autobacktrace (was: concerning the use of assert)

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: autobacktrace (was: concerning the use of assert)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 08:57:11 +0200

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 11:04:09AM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> Eventually we should have some kind of dialog to ask about this, yes. But
> isn't the way we send mail rather different between platforms? So we would
> need different scripts for this for different platforms, AFAIK.

'mail' and 'sendmail' are installed pretty much everywhere, but
it's always possible to talk drectly to port 25 on smtp.freeciv.org,
for example.  I know code for a trivial mail sender in C, used for CGI
scripts 9 years ago; we could use that, too.

>> Note this would work for both server and client (although the client is
>> less likely to have all of the helper programs present).
>
> You mean gdb? Unless the platforms is a windows box, isn't that very
> likely? Don't Sun boxen come with gdb too by default?

No, they come with adb, which is machine level, and Sun Forte ($$$)
provides dbx, the source level debugger.  So in effect it's fair to tell
Solaris players to install gdb if they want to help with debugging.

--
Reinier