Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: autobacktrace (was: concerning the use of assert)

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: autobacktrace (was: concerning the use of assert)
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:04:56 -0400

I think this misses the point that you want to do the backtrace and
continue execution within the running server context. The mentality
that says you need to abort games everytime you want to log an error
message is pretty user-unfriendly.

Clearly something in the wrapper script, unless it is a background
process polling for new core files (and there may be other problems
with linkage in this case), is not suitable.

Cheers,
RossW
=====

At 03:10 PM 02/09/10 +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 12:02:00PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't understand what you are thinking of here.
>>
>> change "civ" so that it looks like:
>>   if file core:
>>     rename to core.old
>>   start client
>>   if file core:
>>     echo "bt" | gdb path/to/civclient core >backtrace
>>     echo "There was a core dump bla bla bla"
>>     cat backtrace | mail to freeciv-dev
>>
>> > Besides, it should work without use of the wrapper script, IMHO.
>>
>> The right tool for the right job. And you don't have access to the
>> back trace from C.
>>
>>      Raimar
>
>Attached is what civserver.freeciv.org uses.  Note the mess it takes
>just to find the correct civserver binary to use.
>
>--
>Reinier
>
>Attachment Converted: "c:\program
files\eudora\attach\civserver-core-backtrace"