Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: concerning the use of assert

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: concerning the use of assert
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 02:07:02 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> The good thing is that the game will continue, thus not upsetting people
> too much.The bad thing is that it's highly doubtful that the savegame
> will help and that there will be no core file which is usually _very_
> helpful.

Yes. I will look at the possibility of launching gdb on ourselves to get a
backtrace, at least.

> Hence a stupid question: is it possible to both dump core and save game
> and continue execution?

Apparently not, unless we can fork() and then immediately abort() without
closing our open files and whatever else it might take down with it.

Yours
Per

"I don't see why people are so upset about cloning sheep. American
television networks have been doing that to their audiences for years."
-- Jello Biafra