Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: rfc: default production

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: rfc: default production
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:42:40 +0200

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 11:42:38AM -0400, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
> At 06:16 PM 02/09/09 +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> >
> >I thought you lost half of your production when switching from coinage to
> >something useful?
>
> It should work as a temporary diversion of all shield output into cash
> without affecting the current shield reserve.
>
> The question is if you switch to coinage, then back to either the original
> production, or a new one, where does the production penalty occur. IMHO, it
> should remember the old production, and use it when switching back to
> impose any penalties.
>
> But being lazy, I haven't tried to ferret out the flow in such a case :-).
>
> Making coinage the new default in cases where production just completed
> should have no effect on any subsequent change other than what currently
> exists in any event, i.e. this should be the current behaviour.

Maybe I misunderstand you, but: there is no penalty (and no problem)
in the first turn (after completion). The problem arises in the turns
after the first. There is a penalty (and should be IMHO). So it is not
sufficient to put the default production to coinage. - This is not for
expert players or ai clients, but is very much required to protect the
user from herself (unexpierienced, forgetful, stressed).

> Also, if shield production wraps on completion, there should be no penalty
> for the first 10 shields (maybe 10% would be worth considering as an option).

There is no penalty yet. No need for an option.

> Cheers,
> RossW
> =====

Christian