Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: rfc: default production

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: rfc: default production
From: "Anthony J. Stuckey" <astuckey@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:06:34 -0500

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 06:42:40PM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
> Maybe I misunderstand you, but: there is no penalty (and no problem)
> in the first turn (after completion). The problem arises in the turns
> after the first. There is a penalty (and should be IMHO). So it is not
> sufficient to put the default production to coinage. - This is not for
> expert players or ai clients, but is very much required to protect the
> user from herself (unexpierienced, forgetful, stressed).

        I see what we do already as meeting in the middle.  So if you want a
solution that requires significant infrastructure (and frankly, even adding
a "last item != coinage produced here" field into the city structure is
"significant infrastructure") you really need to justify it more strongly.

        Not allowing carryover at all was deemed to promote stupid fiddling
with worker layout to limit your loss.  So we added carryover of shields.
If it really takes you more than a turn to figure out that you should be
doing something different, IMHO, the proper response is "pay more
attention".  If it's a case of poor conjunction between finishing what you
are producing now and learning a new tech that gives you a new item to
produce, there's already a solution to that -- find something else in that
class (unit, building, or wonder) and start producing it, then switch.