[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog
From: aliaga <aliaga@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 12:13:20 +0100

At 28-02-02 17:53 -0800, you wrote:
Nothing is going to stop you installing modpacks.

But the more flexible the rules, the better/funnier modpacks can be made.

Nah, it's pretty much the nearest civ to me or on my island/continent is dead.

As long as they are not the Mongols!  ;-)

Realism.

Many faceted word, that one is. Specially when used in the kind of game that Civ is. A matter of taste, I'd say.

I do agree with you on the Phoenicians. But still, if a Civ cannot stand the test of time ...

Well, have a look at your keyboard, unless you have it in chinese, there's Phoenicians winking at you.

And the next time you eat in a plate or drink in a glass, remember who made fortunes and History selling them all around the Mediterranean sea.

It's just a matter of how do you define the test of time. You cannot be too sure that Cocacola will make it better.

There are a lot of nations that are almost unknown. But that is what the
Ancient Era modpack is for. And total accuracy is very dangerous.

Yes and yes, of course.

Consider China and India. In Freeciv terms, they would start with catapaults, elephants,

I'd prefer to start them with a model of their environment and their mindset, and then see if I can evolve them to those "inherent" advantages you point out, or even if I can evolve them to different things or not. Two different challenges, are those.

It would be interesting to have greater chances of that old funny one "the citizens of insert_poor_city_here grow admirers of your wealth and luxuries and jump on your side". That would allow some real counterbalance to purely militaristic and despotic leaders (and even smallpox).

maths, early writing, construction, and in prime agricultural areas. China at least
would also have magnetism,  and gunpowder. There'd be no way these nations
would not totally dominate in Freeciv.

Well, the Mongols could make them suffer, right?

Besides, there's the little matter of scale and economy. If the Chinese, with their advantages, set out to conquer the ancient world, would they be able to integrate everybody in the "greater china"? Or would the risk of losing themselves as well as their new subjects be too great? And what is the chance of some neighbour having the time to copycat those advantages and resist them, or even beat them? the game is open, let's play... :-)

Really? I presume this is based on maps of the coastline. I can't believe they
managed that in triremes.

Hard to believe, yes, but there was the legend, the maps, and a stunning discovery recently in the red sea of Phoenician ships likely to be the ones which did it. Even if it turns out to be false hopes, the undeniably fact is those Phoenicians were very well able to do that, and more, with their puny ships. Puny for our standards, awesome for those of their neighbours, of course.

You are writing alternative history. After all, no civ in the world today is
dominant over all others.

Ah, that would be fun to achieve in a real game. Unless for the risk of utter boredom, would it not be a real test of the quality of a simulation game like Civ, to be able to reach that complex state the real world has achieved?

It's a sensible criteria. Any nation that succeeded in conquering a huge chunk
of the world is clearly a civ to be reckoned with. They had a solid world
domination chance.

Well, some "minor" nations achieved a status where their powerful neighbours and allies would be very willing to defend them against others, the whole mixed affair having good portions of diplomacy, economy, and science involved, thus allowing the lesser powers to achieve dominance in those areas. Kind of nice, come to think about it.

> Navigation.

Chinese did more and much sooner. Arabs were actually the ones who invented
instruments to navigate at sea.

Sorry, I was referring to massive shipbuilding and crossing the bigger Oceans.

What? I don't know of any famous spanish mathematicians ...

Neither do I off the top of my head. But it's more of a "cultural wave" before the Renaissance than the work of a single man. Come to think about it, there's as least one: Al Jwaritzmi (spelling may vary)

Warfare.

Yes, the Spanish Armada was very successful ;).

Indeed, and so were the Armadas that stopped the mosleem empires in the Mediterranean.

But my main point was the Galleon, that massive ship with so many firepower and cargo capacity.

Diplomacy.
???

Heh, not as funny as real war, but talk to the englishmen, frenchmen and germans of the era. James Bond IS an apprentice. :-)

Besides, those international treaties are real jewels indeed.

Literacy.
???

Chivalry books, adventure books, travel books, satire books... just before Shakespeare and the like...

Religion.
??

The idea of "king by the grace of God".

The idea of "State + church = absolute power"

The think tank of the countermovement against Martin Luther...

You know very well that Russia and America had and still have solid world
domination chances. Russia has controlled a huge land mass, along with America,
they make it on that Criteria alone. Russians have also contributed a lot to
science. Check out the list of noble prize winners.

So had the Portuguese and the Carthaginians. Remember that the size of the world was much smaller then ;-)

I really know nothing about them. Amateur historian, I'm really interested only in civs that used ingenious weapons and/or coming close to taking over the world.

I started that way. Now I often wonder on the other tribes who did also have weapons and leaders but did not "make the test", or even those who did never even attempt it (or so we believe).

> >The Mongols are a standout as an otherwise crap civ, but they changed the
> >world.
>
> They changed Europe. The Portuguese changed the world when Magellan
> circumnavigated it.

The world goddamn it. They smashed everyone in their path, almost conquered the japanese, built the largest empire the world has ever seen. Introduced the black death due to their great roadworks, gunpowder and lots of trade between east and
west happened due to the mongols.

Whoa, that's more than just a bunch of cavalry men, right?

But all the same, other tribes did about the same even without waging war to do it, so again a matter of taste.

Indians and Chinese civs, bizarrely, never made a bid to take over the world. I
cannot explain why.

Read the stories about the Four Kingdoms. Anyway, that's why it's interesting to play with the idea.

Cool, innit ;). I still think Hannibal made the best use of animals in war.
Snakes in baskets, he had his soldiers toss them at enemy ships. They panicked
and he won easily. Why didn't I think of that?

Too sneaky for me ;-)

Difficult to tell what they actually accomplished.

Their own half of the Mediterranean sea. The legend of Hannibal. To be feared by the allpowerful Romans until the very end. Some other minor things for sure, like their own fashion of government. The most important: they could have been Rome instead of Rome. And that "could have" is the heart of the Civ games.

Heh. Weird, I cannot imagine dinosaur tech. Sharp teeth, spikes on tail ...

Yep, and hard sells for eggs, scales, feathers, beaks, war cries... Weird and truly fascinating.

> first hand-portable cannon,

Turks were probably first with battlefield use of cannon. The little matter of
constantinople.

I said Hand-portable. Clumsy, ugly, heavy antecessors of the musket. A scary idea for the time.

>the pikemen,

Switzerland surely?

I don't know about exact dates and refinements of the idea. Spanish armies deployed pikes en masse agains horsemounted foes and everybody else liked the idea.

>the Galleon,

Ripped off arab and chinese civs.

And extensively used and armed, so much as to evolve the astounding idea of "naval power" in the Middle Ages.

>spies,

I think spies predate any civ.

Heh, true. I was thinking on deeds of spionnage and treachery and slippery uses of diplomats in foreign embassies.

> Guerrilla warfare, the first Great Depression, the first serious studies
> about those tiny endangered species called neurones and the accoustic
> guitar. :-)

Wuh??

Just folklore, hehehe. Anyway, if the spanish kings had known modern economic theories, things would have been different. The neuron studies won a Nobel Prize for a country that has very little of those, and the accoustic guitar remains one of the highest achievements of the human race. :-)

You know, if Brazil was the undisputed leader of South America, instead of
second fiddle to the U.S, I'd say you were right.

Well, being second to the mighty USA is not small achievement. Besides, there's the whole bunch of Portuguese colonies all over the world. Maybe smallpoxers, were they?

> And mathematics and manuals of love-making, too...

That's just not as cool.

Think better catapults and enhanced rapture-times ;-)

Israeli civ had no impact. Their religion on the other hand did only indirectly.

Religion and philosophy and political concepts. Indirectly, so what? Huuuuuge impact all over the place.

And remember the Diamond trade and craft, too.

Besides, Jewish players could like playing it. They achieved some nice military victories against powerful foes, and had superweapons nobody else ever dreamed of. ;-)

My 0.02E