[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 01:20:47 -0400 (AST)

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:

> > The lack of other viable development paths may be forcing too many players
> > to go through the Legion step. Civ is far too Christianity-centric, I dont
> > know why they heck Freeciv (presumably from Civ2 ?) threw in Polytheism as
> > a useless tech that does nothing other than make it harder to get to
> > Cathedrals. What about Druids and Bards, possibly they may have been part
> > of why their cultures stuck with the individualistic Hero instead of
> > adopting a Legionaire attitude. National Myths perhaps? There was
> > something about Legions and Reiches that some European types disliked and
> > still do. Possibly something of the same idealism of the individual that
> > led to the United States national myth of "democracy" and "libertarianism"
> > and such.
> >

> New techs?

Part of the whole lack of taking seriously of Mysticism, Philosophy and
Religion. The U.S. was not founded on normal mass-market Christianity -
"exoteric" religion. A lot of its founders were rather more into
"esoteric" ("occult") religion/mysticism. In a way the "Diplomat" unit
provides a lot of the kind of mysterious hijinx that would often be
attributed rather to "mages" and "wizards" and such. Accordingly in my
Quest for Fire scenario I am experimenting with the introduction of Magus
and Wizard and including a Shamanism tech in addition to Polytheism; and
in my Proxima Centauri scenario I am experimenting with combining
Polytheism and Monotheism to come up with Pantheism and (partly due to
native ("alien") influences (Planetary Ecology of the new planet)) leading
eventually the The Force, Jedi (with Chivalry), Sith (with The Dark Side,
which requires Espionage), and Jedi Knights (with Light Sabre which
requires Force Fields and Jedi)...

> Have a talk with Petr.

Presumably someone I can look up on the freeciv.org website?
I may be able to hack this myself, I havent looked at the source code yet.
Its probably simple once I do.

BB
MM

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/