[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog

To: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog
From: aliaga <aliaga@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 16:10:09 +0100

At 01-03-02 07:44 -0400, you wrote:
It would help if you could set the max percentages of tax, luxuries and
science separately when defining governments instead of having the same
percentage for all three items. Then you could implement such
"rationalist" governments simply by having the max science they can set be
fairly low. Similarly, some kinds of fundamentalists could severely
restrict luxuries.

I was thinking more on the ways of: So I'm a rationalist and want to develop a strong economy and machine-guns ASAP, so what do I care about freaks like Newton and his "underlying mother Earth forces"?

Presently only one tech can have the "the worlds philosophers flock to
your banner" bonus for its first discoverer.

But luxuries and tech settings mimick that. So do the cities changing spontaneously sides.

It would be interesting also
to have "the world's multinational corporations flock to your tax-free
haven" and "the jetset elite flock to the last remaining bastion of
despotism in this bleeding heart liberal world full of bourgious soft
democratic lovers-of-the-poor with their Food Banks and World Hunger
Project Wonders and other such sick underminings of the power of the rich
dynastic families"...  ;-)

Heh, hadn't thought of these! Cool!

Yeah I kind of figured from Minatures Battles rules of various kinds that
there were other Mounted Archers besides Mongols and Centaurs.

Yeah, not exactly the same powers for them all, but definitely no one too powerful so as to be unbeatable.

I agree. Its only because Sid Meier is making more money than us at this
that we "have to" put in Civ3 weirdness. We can still have it be "just a
mode" rather than standard procedure.

Let it be an option. After all, there's people playing that way and liking it.

Although, having anything predetermined about the future would open up the
possibility of Astrology and other forms of Divination/Prognostication
actually working. At the very least you could have a mode in which the
tribal predetermined bonus is not determined when you choose your tribe
but rather is determined, possibly at random, when your tribe's
representatives first consult The Oracle...

You could have Delphi's Oracle, then the Roman Church, then Wall Street. Every time you ask their counsel, they give a random cookie to you. You spend the cookie's points as you think it's best at that moment, much like a rol game like Diablo.

Your Neighbours could guess what was your initial setup and bonuses, but never know for sure who you're developing into... :-)

My 0.02E