[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Alternative nation dialog
From: aliaga <aliaga@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 12:48:41 +0100

At 28-02-02 18:20 -0800, you wrote:
--- Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I always heard it was the Arabs who came up with the Zero. Are you perhaps
> thinking of Moors?

Nah, Indians. Arabs basically introduced the ideas of chinese and indian civs
to Europe. They did have their own techs, but the only one I can think of is
algebra.

Making known the best ideas of others has a value in itself. Ask those who were not able to learn about the Zero from the Indians themselves.

Also, the Arabs had a very powerful idea of their own, that it was worth it to gather and polish all knowledge they could, even in wartime, about all sort of things, even from their enemies, even if nobody else cared. In their kingdoms in Spain they labored for the good of all mankind while the rest of Europe was ready to throw them to the sea. Could be modelled in terms of reputation and trade routes, even.

My 0.02E