Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 19:39:08 -0500

Tony Stuckey (stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

>       There are three current ways to speed up city growth.
>
>       1) disband a Settler into a city.  This is inefficient, as you blow
> 40 production points + other side effects for a net infusion of (city size
> difference * 10) food.
>       2) Build a Granary.  When a city grows, the foodbox is set to half
> full, rather than empty.

        2a) Build (or capture) the Pyramids.

>       3) Go to Republic or Democracy, and celebrate.  +1 Population per
> turn.  If that's not fast enough for you, you have other problems. :)

        4) Irrigate (or do Farmland/Supermarket).

        5) Build a Harbor.

        6) Build new cities; each city decreases your Settlers by 1, which
           in turn decreases the amount of food being drained from your
           other cities for upkeep.  In a pinch, I suppose you could
           just disband the Settlers to save their upkeep... but that's
           normally not a good idea.

        7) Switch to Monarchy -- your Settlers will have the minimum food
           upkeep (1 each) and your resource collection will be
           unrestricted (so you can get all your food from your farms).  All
           other government forms either have 2-food Settlers, or they have
           a penalty for food collection.

--
*** Please note new address. -->  |  Greg Wooledge
"Truth belongs to everybody."     |  http://wooledge.org/~greg/
  Red Hot Chili Peppers           |  old page: http://www.kellnet.com/wooledge/