Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:24:53 -0500

Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, the problem is the micromanagement involved. Some automation would really help here. (If nobody is going to do scripting any time
soon, I'd love to see an auto-elvis feature.)

I don't think it would require more micromanagement than usual once you have learned how to play at a higher unhappiness level You have to build military units and temples early on. Later you have to build marketplaces and trade routes, etc. and then raise luxury rate above zero (now that's a concept) to keep people happy. It also helps to raise more money so that you can buy needed buildings whenever necessary. If done right, you rarely need any elvis. And with fewer cities, micromanagement is not that bad at all.

Of course, automation is always helpful. one of the worst micromanagement problem I have now is when I try to grow my cities by celebrating. After each turn, I have to make sure the workers are distributed so that the cities 1) keep on celebrating, 2) have a food surplus. With a lot of cities this becomes very tedious. I always have to ask for more time when this happens.

In the other extreme, ICS itself is micromanagement hell, especially with the large number of cities involved. You have to give credit to those who can use it well. I am just not up to the task.

At the root though, micromanagement is unavoidable in the game. So I think this is another good topic for discussion: how best to reduce micromanagement? Ultimately, scripting would be ideal. Meanwhile, other things could be further improved, e.g. worker placement (including auto-elvis maybe?), autosettler, worklists, etc. Hmmm... Maybe it's time to look more at the code.

Mike