Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 00:41:55 +0100

>       There are three current ways to speed up city growth.

The problem is, as long as there is room for new cities, and the default
rules are in effect, they don't pay off.

>       1) disband a Settler into a city.  This is inefficient, as you blow
> 40 production points + other side effects for a net infusion of (city size
> difference * 10) food.

With the same settler I can found a second city.  Two cities always yield
more than one with a +1 size.

>       2) Build a Granary.  When a city grows, the foodbox is set to half
> full, rather than empty.

For the same price I can build a city.  Same argument: two cities always
yield more than one with a +1 size.  Now a Granary also causes that one
city to grow twice as fast, but two cities grow even faster.

>       3) Go to Republic or Democracy, and celebrate.  +1 Population per
> turn.  If that's not fast enough for you, you have other problems. :)

Celebration only used to work for cities of size 5 and over.  I don't know
what the default minimum is at present.  When I reach Democracy, around 80%
of my cities is size 1 or 2.  By that time I'll have far too many cities to
be able to afford unhappiness (the tmeout will be too short to prevent the
govermnent from falling) , and unhappiness is more likely to occur in
cities of bigger size, so I never celebrate.  (A good example of the
impact of playing with timeout.)

--
Reinier