Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI drops units off ship AND moves them (PR#630)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI drops units off ship AND moves them (PR#630)
From: mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:47:49 -0800 (PST)

Thue <thue@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thursday 21 December 2000 17:43, cgeist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Full_Name: Christian Geist
> Version: 1.11.5 Dec-07
> Client: Gtk+
> OS: RedHat-Linux 2.2.14
> Submission from: (NULL) (63.82.231.161)
>

> Very mean tactic by AI (and not according to rules):
> In first move AI sails next to a city with some units aboard.
> In the second move it drops off the units (archers, warriors, > musketeers) AND attacks the city.
> That's at least TWO moves in one (depending on the terrain around)

Known bug.. and we know what part of the code does it. But nobody is
competent enough in the AI code to dare change it...

Technically not a bug, although nasty nevertheless. If I understood correctly, what happens in this situation is that the AI waits to move the attacking units at the end of a turn, and then immediately attack at the beginning of the next, so it appears that it is using more moves than allowed. If it indeed violates the rules, then it should have been fixed a long time ago.

Mike