Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Use original city id at client (Fixes some bugs

To: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Use original city id at client (Fixes some bugs)
From: Marko Lindqvist <caz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 04:34:48 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Thue wrote:

> Yes, I hadn't read the patch properly. However, wouldn't it be simpler to
> do things by using the private map in the server as I outlined than
> introducing the orig_id? It seems everything can be solved that way. (ok,
> the refounded city thing migth be a reason to remember the original city
> ID)
>
> Though I am not completely decided I tend towards prefering to use the
> private map for simplicity.

 There is list of advantages I can see of each approach (over other).

 private map:

 - No client can tell whether city is destroyed and then refounded unless
   area is unfogged at some point in between. (cheating clients)
 - Simplicity

 orig_id:

   First four have any meaning only if clients are modified to somehow to
 show if city is same as city previosly seen at this place. Of course
 server can send all the following information to clients when
 necessary, but figuring out when player has right to know
 would be rather complicated (and memory hungry). It's easier to just let
 player remember what he knows.

 - If city once had a wonder, you can be sure it still has it.
   Most players think this way anyway.
 - Original owner (city.original) of the city never changes. Player
   knows which cities grant partisans when conquered.
 - Times diplomats have stolen technologies (city.steal) always rises,
   never drops.
 - Handling of other similar (future) variables.

 - Compatibility with old clients. Only change required at client
   side is removing of one LOG_ERROR message (Older clients might print it
   every now and then)
 - Patch exists already.

 Well, I'm biased, but at least I left more abstract points out :)

 So, do I continue working with my version or are you going to implement
your own? (I'm too lazy to implement second solution to same problems)

 Caz