Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Use original city id at client (Fixes some bug

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Use original city id at client (Fixes some bugs)
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:56:22 -0500

At 2000/12/20 21:34 , Marko Lindqvist wrote:

> orig_id:
>
>   First four have any meaning only if clients are modified to somehow to
> show if city is same as city previosly seen at this place. Of course
> server can send all the following information to clients when
> necessary, but figuring out when player has right to know
> would be rather complicated (and memory hungry). It's easier to just let
> player remember what he knows.

I haven't read the patch at all, but I worry about the phrase "It's easier
to just let player remember what he knows.".  Does this mean that some
state winds up defined solely latently in the client?  This doesn't work:
what happens when the client disconnects the re-connects?  Any latent state
is lost.  All client state must be known by the server at all times,
otherwise restarting a client (or the server) does not result in the same
state.

jjm