Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: OO model for Freeciv?

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: OO model for Freeciv?
From: "Sam BC" <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 19:27:47 +0100

Not a very open-minded view... responses below...

Depends what you mean by joke. If you mean, do I not mean it, then no, no
joke. It is legally true. If you mean would I do it without the blessing of
the maintainers, then no. I respect peoples beliefs and wishes for what they
have been figureheads for the creation of.

This is fairly moot, as Jeff Mallatt (jjm) at least has shown that he does
not mind the idea, his request being that the name not include FreeCiv
verbatim.

> As I wrote earlier, I see nothing controversial in simply
> renaming files from .c
> to .cc. But I see that kind of conversion as big waste of time
> (of course, your
> hands are free because the source is free, but...).

No-one is suggesting re-naming files. That would take no time and would
accomplish nothing apart from a slower compile as we have established that
g++ compiles pure C worse than gcc. What we are suggesting is using the
graphics/algorithms/overall structure and re-writing with C++ to make a
truly object-oriented solution. The advantages have already been discussed
as easier extensibility, easier-to-understand structure, and code that is
harder to unwittingly break (typed containers etc from the STL).

Clearer?

SamBC