Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: how to improve the AI's attack (was: old/bad code in a

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: maniek@xxxxxxxx, Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: how to improve the AI's attack (was: old/bad code in autoattack.c (PR#351))
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 12:56:36 -0500

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 07:44:25PM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 01:29:18AM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > If ai would protect some cities much less,
> > I would perfore heavy rides into AI empires, just line or two (5-10 tiles)
> > after a front line. IgZOC unit would be needed for this, but there would
> > be roads or rails, so it would be fast
>
> True, it would have to use a realistic measure of how much aggression
> against any given spot the enemy could mount, and base its defenses on that,
> taking things like roads and railroads into account.  This can be expensive.

        And is also unknowable in the general/fog of war case.

        The AI must assume that all coastal cities and all cities on a
contested continent must be "heavily" defended.  The only ones that it can
leave lightly defended are internal cities on an uncontested continent out
of range of any Helicopter/Paratroops.
        That's not a very useful rule.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."