Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: how to improve the AI's attack (was: old/bad code in a

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: how to improve the AI's attack (was: old/bad code in autoattack.c (PR#351))
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 01:29:18 +0200

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 11:47:41PM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
>   + the AI has no sense of 2D space
>
> When AI cities defend, *all* cities defend equally well, even those
> that are 20 tiles from the enemy borderline.  In assessing the need
> for defense, a flood fill algorithm should be used to determine the
> proximity of enemies, under the assumption that it will be sufficient
> to defend the borders.  In assessing the direction of expansion or
> conquest, the same algorithm can be used to determine defensible
> borders.  And (rail)road building should be used to improve this,
> rather than as a way to increase trade for cities.

If ai would protect some cities much less,
I would perfore heavy rides into AI empires, just line or two (5-10 tiles)
after a front line. IgZOC unit would be needed for this, but there would
be roads or rails, so it would be fast

Because all cities near just conquered become front-line-cities
just after conquer, ai would make only defence units for some time.
If they weren't I would conquere many cities that was far from me
not so lang time ago. Nowadays, it's quite difficult to conquere
any AI city because its usually full of defence units.
Find-and-cnoquere is much better done by humans than by AI.
and because they didn't make defence nor attacking units, just conquered
cities would have lots of population (little population died during atack)
and industry (production was used to make buildings/wonders)

On the other hand, it's how many real wars are done, so
it might be nice to do it