Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: OO model for Freeciv?

To: thue@xxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: OO model for Freeciv?
From: Dan Ward <danward2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 20:33:05 +0100

At 20:16 2/5/2000, you wrote:
On Tue, 02 May 2000, Dan Ward wrote:
> >...C++ should bring clarity to our
> >algorithms and make them easier to optimise. There are some bits of
> >code currently so opaque no one understands them ;-)
>
> Utter nonsense, if some of the code is opaque it is because it has been
> badly written; if the code's hard to optimise then it has been designed
> poorly. Good design is much more important than choice of language.
>
> IMHO the time required to convert from C to C++ (a non-trivial task if you
> want to do it properly) would be much better spent on adding new features
> to the game.
>

> Dan Ward

Then I guess it makes no difference to you if you write in assembler or C?
(Sorry for participating in the flamewar, but that was just too easy :) )

-Thue

Nope. It takes much longer to develop in ASM than it does in C or C++ especially as you'd have to write the code for each supported platform :)

I don't want to get into a flamewar either I was trying to point out that design & good coding is more important than choice of language. Unless we need to do a significant re-write I can't see the advantage of moving to C++ (silver bullets don't work in the real world).

Dan