Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 01:43:18 +0200

On 1999-07-24 01:20:26, Reinier Post wrote:
> > > Pollution from production is calculated from the cities factory
> > > production...
> >
> > I prefer that it be based on the entire production.
> > Example: say I have a city with no factory, a smallish
> > population, and several coal mines.  Under the current
> > rules I have to worry about pollution, whereas I don't
> > much under your rules.  I prefer the current rules here.
>
> What are the proper rules for pullution?
> There's no arguing that Freeciv has it wrong.  But how to fix it?
>
> I can only draw from my Civ I experience.
>
> In Civ I, there are clearly two contributing polluting factors:
> pollution due to production (prodpol) and due to city size (sizepol).
> prodpol never happens, as far as I'm aware, before the discovery of
> Industrialization.  sizepol second never happens before the discovery
> of Automobile.  I don't know how the discovery of more techs affect either.
> Recycling plants diminish (or eliminate?) prodpol, mass transit
> dimimishes (or eliminates?) sizepol.
>
> I think the two are computed independently, including the modifying effects
> of buildings, then added to give total pollution.

You don't think the effects of recycling center and
hoover/hydro/nuclear should be in effect at the same time?

> First, the computation of prodpol.  In Freeciv it scales with city
> production, and more effective factories can scale it down again.
> This is not how it works in Civ I, where prodpol is never possible before
> Industrialization, as far as I remember.  But is it possible without
> factories?  I don't remember.

Neither do I...

> Daniel's patch assumes that it isn't, by making it scale with the
> production bonus brought by factories.  That way, it will stay at 0
> for cities without factories.

One reason for this was to compensate for the removal of -20 by
calculating pollution from less production...

> In any case, it should be 0 without A_INDUSTRIALIZATION.

Indeed...

> Second, the computation of sizepol.  In Freeciv it starts to happen
> with A_INDUSTRIALIZATION; in Civ I, with A_AUTOMOBILE.  I don't think
> A_INDUSTRIALIZATION or A_MASS affect it at all.  Daniel's patch
> fixes that.

Thank You very much! :)

> Third, the subtraction of 20.  This looks like a quick hack
> to make sure pollution doesn't happen early in the game.  With a
> modified prodpol computation, this would be fixed properly.

Exactly!
Removing it *does* give You a *lot* more pollution if You have a lot of
small cities - but I think that's the way it should be...

I'll check into the possibility of putting something in a ruleset...

> > > Pollution from population was equal to the size times a factor decided
> > > by the level of advancement in Your civilization...
> > > 0.50 for Automobile
> > > 1.00 for Plastic
> >
> > I prefer the more gradual change with more factors.
>
> Yes, but I don't think that's how it works.  (Can't speak for Civ II.)

Thanx, I needed that...
I had more or less given up on this change... :)

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)