Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 21:45:24 +0200

On 1999-07-23 11:42:56, Tony Stuckey wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 05:19:02AM +0200, Daniel Sjolie wrote:
> > That would be all well if You didn't have the -20 thing...
> > Ok, I had a city with 30 in base production...
> > With old rules and pop 10 this would give You 20 pollution
> > with no improvements...
> > New rules gives You 10...
> > But my first version would have given You 20...
> >
> > Come on...
> > Pollution is an industrialization problem!
>
>       No, it's not.  Mining has always been damaging.  Centuries ago, oil
> tanker spills and nuclear accidents/testing were not an issue, but there
> have been some serious issues with pollution for millenia.

Yes, I know... :)

>       Sewage has always been an issue.  It continues disease cycles, and
> causes other bad effects which pollution is a possible model for.
>       Remember the lead aqueducts of Rome, and how they slowly poisoned
> the population?

No, I don't remember that... :)

> > You don't have many cities like that and I doubt that You would
> > gain anything by not building a factory - even if You do get less
> > pollution...
> >
> > Well, other solutions exists but I really don't like the -20!
>
>       Why not?  Below a certain level, the environment can recover
> relatively well.

I know...
But I still don't like it... :)

> > Why?
> > Adding factors just to get more factors is a bad reason...
> > I think these are the ones really affecting population pollution...
> > And I do think this is closer to civ (II)
>
>       We have no historical parallels to what's happening with the human
> race right now.  The explosion in population, knowledge, and industrial
> capacity in the last 300 years have combined through the decades to produce
> some real effects which we must manage.

Huh?

Ah, well...
Whatever...
I will not push this any further, at least no now...

Here's a patch with sopar plant + city sorting wity pollution working
like it used to except for hyro/nuclear and recycling being able to be
effective at the same time...

http://www.shaolie.dhs.org/~deepone/freeciv/solar_plant+sort_cities_by_column.diff

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)