Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...

To: deepone@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:55:42 +1000 (EST)

Daniel Sjolie wrote:

> I now know why I want more general packets... :)
> I tried to add fileds to the city struct to display
> more detailed pollution info in the client...
> I found 4-6 places I had to change in the code and
> it still went crazy... I removed that... :p

I am unconvinced that "more general packets" would magically
(or at least easily) solve this problem :-/

> In my patch:
>
> Pollution from production is calculated from the cities factory
> production...

I prefer that it be based on the entire production.
Example: say I have a city with no factory, a smallish
population, and several coal mines.  Under the current
rules I have to worry about pollution, whereas I don't
much under your rules.  I prefer the current rules here.

> It is then lessened by hyrdo/hoover/nuclear and/or
> recycling plant... Both can be in effect at the same time...

It would seem more sensible to allow both to have effect.
I'm pretty sure they could in Civ1, because I seem to recall
often building Hoover first, then gradually building mass
transits (presumably due to hitting the tech advancement
effects), but if I got too much production (eg, Mfg Plant)
having to also add Recycling Center on top.

> Pollution from population was equal to the size times a factor decided
> by the level of advancement in Your civilization...
> 0.50 for Automobile
> 1.00 for Plastic

I prefer the more gradual change with more factors.

> > Use freelog(LOG_VERBOSE,) or freelog(LOG_DEBUG,) as apppropriate
> > (eg, former for "rare" debugging messages, otherwise latter)
> > and then you don't have to bother removing them :-)

> I don't want to get a lot of other debugging messages
> that others have left... I suspect I would get that
> if I turned those on?

If you use --debug 3 with some arcane specifications you can
to some extent control which LOG_DEBUG messages you get.

-- David