Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:32:46 +0200

On 1999-07-23 12:05:26, David Pfitzner wrote:
> Daniel Sjolie wrote:
>
> > Sure I considered it...
> > But rewriting the calcutation is hardly a tweak...
> > And this little tweak was just to give it
> > about the same effect as before...
>
> So are the rules in your patch "the same as before",
> or just "about the same effect as before"?

The later...
But I believe that the actual calculation is closer to civ (II) now...

> If you are changing the actual rules of the game, can you
> please explain clearly (preferably on freeciv-dev) what the
> old/current rules are (in 1.8.1/cvs), and what the new rules
> are with your patch?

Ok, here goes...

Both:
There are two kinds of pollution -
from production (shields) and population...

These are calculated and added...

I now know why I want more general packets... :)
I tried to add fileds to the city struct to display
more detailed pollution info in the client...
I found 4-6 places I had to change in the code and
it still went crazy... I removed that... :p

Before:

Pollution from production was calculated from the cities entire
production... It was then lessened by hyrdo/hoover/nuclear XOR
recycling plant... Both could not be in effect at the same time...

Pollution from population was equal to the size times a factor decided
by the level of advancement in Your civilization...
0.25 for Industrialization
0.50 for Automobile
0.75 for Mass Production
1.00 for Plastic

These were added and 20 was substracted...
This is what caught my eye...
I guess it was added to keep pollution
away in the early stages of the game...

In my patch:

Pollution from production is calculated from the cities factory
production... It is then lessened by hyrdo/hoover/nuclear and/or
recycling plant... Both can be in effect at the same time...

Pollution from population was equal to the size times a factor decided
by the level of advancement in Your civilization...
0.50 for Automobile
1.00 for Plastic

I guess I could put the other factors back if there is such a wish...
We were talking about this on IRC and to our recollection population
based pollution was introduced with automobile...

The thing is that the -20 thing is removed and in effect replaced by
not including non-factory production when calculating pollution...

Ah, well...
I guess I could go on but I think this will do for now...
Ask questions if You want more details...

> > I have removed a few debugging lines now... :)
>
> Use freelog(LOG_VERBOSE,) or freelog(LOG_DEBUG,) as apppropriate
> (eg, former for "rare" debugging messages, otherwise latter)
> and then you don't have to bother removing them :-)

Well, actually, I want to remove them... :)
If I could just remember to do it... :p
Well, I guess I'll have to try those...
I don't want to get a lot of other debugging messages
that others have left... I suspect I would get that
if I turned those on?

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)