Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:42:56 -0500

On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 05:19:02AM +0200, Daniel Sjolie wrote:
> That would be all well if You didn't have the -20 thing...
> Ok, I had a city with 30 in base production...
> With old rules and pop 10 this would give You 20 pollution
> with no improvements...
> New rules gives You 10...
> But my first version would have given You 20...
>
> Come on...
> Pollution is an industrialization problem!

        No, it's not.  Mining has always been damaging.  Centuries ago, oil
tanker spills and nuclear accidents/testing were not an issue, but there
have been some serious issues with pollution for millenia.
        Sewage has always been an issue.  It continues disease cycles, and
causes other bad effects which pollution is a possible model for.
        Remember the lead aqueducts of Rome, and how they slowly poisoned
the population?

> You don't have many cities like that and I doubt that You would
> gain anything by not building a factory - even if You do get less
> pollution...
>
> Well, other solutions exists but I really don't like the -20!

        Why not?  Below a certain level, the environment can recover
relatively well.

> Why?
> Adding factors just to get more factors is a bad reason...
> I think these are the ones really affecting population pollution...
> And I do think this is closer to civ (II)

        We have no historical parallels to what's happening with the human
race right now.  The explosion in population, knowledge, and industrial
capacity in the last 300 years have combined through the decades to produce
some real effects which we must manage.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"When I was young, the sky was filled with stars.