Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 07:01:08 +0200

On 1999-07-25 14:12:09, David Pfitzner wrote:
> Reinier Post wrote:
>
> > Third, the subtraction of 20.  This looks like a quick hack
> > to make sure pollution doesn't happen early in the game.  With a
> > modified prodpol computation, this would be fixed properly.
>
> Its not necessarily a hack.  Eg, as someone else suggested, some
> level of pollution may be absorbed or tolerated by the environment,
> and its only past some level that it becomes a problem.
>
> Note that with Daniel's patch, as I understand it, any/every city
> with a Factory (and say >=2 raw production) would generate pollution,
> and the user would have to get a pollution-reducing plant or
> Recycling Center immediately to avoid pollution.  I don't like
> this so much (and I think it wasn't the case in Civ1?)

I never said my patch was perfect... :)
But I really don't like that -20 per *city*...

Presently it is an effective strategy to build lots of small cities whos
citymaps go into eachother... This is like counting the absorbing effect
of the environment more than once...

And the factory itself doesn't give any pollution... The factory output
does... If the output is low pollution will be low... If it is high You
deserve pollution... :)

But I don't think my pollution patch should be applied the way it is...
I'll keep in in mind and see if I come up with something better, put
some stuff in rulesets and so on...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)