Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...

To: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 17:29:30 +1000

Daniel Sjolie wrote:
> Before:
> Pollution from production was calculated from the cities entire
> production... It was then lessened by hyrdo/hoover/nuclear XOR
> recycling plant... Both could not be in effect at the same time...
>
> Pollution from population was equal to the size times a factor decided
> by the level of advancement in Your civilization...
> 0.25 for Industrialization
> 0.50 for Automobile
> 0.75 for Mass Production
> 1.00 for Plastic
>
> These were added and 20 was substracted...
> This is what caught my eye...
> I guess it was added to keep pollution
> away in the early stages of the game...

I've just played Civ2 for a while and I think the above is Civ2's behaviour.
I'm not sure about Mass Production or Plastic but the what I've seen is
this:
When Industrialisation is discovered pollution will be generated at a rate
of one per production shield for each shield over a certain threshold which
is governed by the cities size. The threshold value is calculated as:
20-(size*0.25). With the discovery of automobile the multiplier used in the
threshold equation becomes 0.50. Hydro plants effectively reduce the number
of shields used in the pollution calculation by 50%, I did n't play long
enough to see the effect of Mass Production, Recycling, etc.

Regards,
Steve Hodge