Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:03:32 +1000 (EST)

Greg Wooledge wrote:

> Daniel Sjolie (deepone@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > I now know why I want more general packets... :)
> > I tried to add fileds to the city struct to display
> > more detailed pollution info in the client...

> But this isn't secret information that the client should be able to
> learn only from the server.  The formulas are (sort of) clearly exposed
> in the source code, after all.  So put the calculation of pollution in
> the common directory, and let both the client and the server compute
> the value, or any subvalues you wish.  Then the client can display all
> the details without ever consulting the server.

But then you go more towards having a "smart" client, rather
than the current "dumb" client.  An advantage of the "dumb"
approach (that is, send the calculation results instead of
having the client do the calcs itself) is that its easy to
keep backward compatability if we were to change the details
of the calculation.

Regards,
-- David