Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Problems in compiling gtk-Client

To: patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Problems in compiling gtk-Client
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:08:15 +1000 (EST)

Patrick Schmid wrote:

> I'm using SuSE Linux 6.1 and I'd like to compile freeciv and use the
> gtk-Client.
> I got myself the newest version of glib (glib-1.2.3), gtk+ (gtk+-1.2.3) and
> imlib (imlib-1.9.4).
> I followed the instructions in how to install them and then I've run the
> configure script of freeciv. This script is always telling me, that I don't
> have a gtk version greater than 1.2.1, but I've installed 1.2.3!

Its best when reporting problems to report the _exact_ error
message which was produced.  (And, for that matter, exactly
what you did to produce it.)

Eg, did configure tell you something like:

*** An old version of GTK+ (<something>) was found.
*** You need a version of GTK+ newer than 1.2.1. The latest version of
*** GTK+ is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org.
***
*** If you have already installed a sufficiently new version, this error
*** probably means that the wrong copy of the gtk-config shell script is
*** being found. The easiest way to fix this is to remove the old version
*** of GTK+, but you can also set the GTK_CONFIG environment to point to the
*** correct copy of gtk-config. (In this case, you will have to
*** modify your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf
*** so that the correct libraries are found at run-time))

That would seem to give some hints to solve your problem.

Regards,
-- David