Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: solar plant...
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 05:19:02 +0200

On 1999-07-23 12:55:42, David Pfitzner wrote:
> Daniel Sjolie wrote:
>
> > I now know why I want more general packets... :)
> > I tried to add fileds to the city struct to display
> > more detailed pollution info in the client...
> > I found 4-6 places I had to change in the code and
> > it still went crazy... I removed that... :p
>
> I am unconvinced that "more general packets" would magically
> (or at least easily) solve this problem :-/

Well, that depends on a lot of things...
I think it can be solved though...
But I will get back to that when I have some code... :)

> > In my patch:
> >
> > Pollution from production is calculated from the cities factory
> > production...
>
> I prefer that it be based on the entire production.
> Example: say I have a city with no factory, a smallish
> population, and several coal mines.  Under the current
> rules I have to worry about pollution, whereas I don't
> much under your rules.  I prefer the current rules here.

That would be all well if You didn't have the -20 thing...
Ok, I had a city with 30 in base production...
With old rules and pop 10 this would give You 20 pollution
with no improvements...
New rules gives You 10...
But my first version would have given You 20...

Come on...
Pollution is an industrialization problem!
You don't have many cities like that and I doubt that You would
gain anything by not building a factory - even if You do get less
pollution...

Well, other solutions exists but I really don't like the -20!

> > Pollution from population was equal to the size times a factor decided
> > by the level of advancement in Your civilization...
> > 0.50 for Automobile
> > 1.00 for Plastic
>
> I prefer the more gradual change with more factors.

Why?
Adding factors just to get more factors is a bad reason...
I think these are the ones really affecting population pollution...
And I do think this is closer to civ (II)

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)