Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
RE: [Freeciv-Dev] Nationalities

To: Patrick Schmid <patrickschmid@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Freeciv-Dev (E-Mail)" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Freeciv-Dev] Nationalities
From: Matt Busigin <jediknight@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:48:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Patrick Schmid wrote:

#Is it really a good idea to implement differences between nationalities?
#This just produces stereotypes and prejudices.
#For example:
#The Germans would be probably very aggresive (2 world wars), the French
#perhaps too (Napoleon), Russians would be also on the bad side (Stalin...),
#Chinese perhaps too (human rights),...
#And there would be some "good" nations, e.g. the Americans...

Exactly.

#I think differing between nationalities would be contraproductive for a
#world-wide project like Freeciv.

My blood boiled a bit when Stalin was the selected as the default Russian
leader, and I would find it to be _very_ offensive if anyone started making
generalizations about certain civilizations.

If certain small things didn't happen, then possibly Hitler/Stalin/other
horrible leaders would have never ascended to power, and have had a
terrifying reign...

Having it randomly selected at the beginning of the game is a much better.
With the way the Americans are treating Kosovo and the Serbians, I wouldn't
also feign to call it a "good" nation. :-)

--
Matt Busigin - spod(at)ewtoo.org, jediknight(at)xwing.org
Don't take life seriously, you'll never get out alive.