Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Nationalities

To: FreeCiv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Nationalities
From: Chris Lawrence <quango@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 23:21:54 -0500

On Jun 11, David Pfitzner wrote:
> I think a way to handle this so as to avoid the stereotype problem
> would be to associate AI characteristics with _leaders_, and to
> allow multiple possible leaders (chosen randomly) for each race.
> So for each race you would have a variety of leaders with different
> characteristics, so we wouldn't be associating specific
> characteristics with certain nationalities.

This is a good idea; it also gets around the Civ issue of designating
Stalin as default leader of the Russians (a: he was Georgian, and b: I
doubt a large percentage of Russians would call him their greatest
leader in history).  A few alternative personages would be appropriate
and reasonable for most of the civilizations (though I'd be hard
pressed to name any Babylonian leaders other than Hammurabi...).

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence        |             The Linux/m68k FAQ             |
|   <quango@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   |   http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html   |
|    Amiga A4000 604e/233Mhz   |        Visit the Amiga Web Directory       |
|     with Linux/APUS 2.2.3    |       http://www.cucug.org/amiga.html      |