Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
RE: [Freeciv-Dev] Nationalities

To: "Freeciv-Dev (E-Mail)" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Freeciv-Dev] Nationalities
From: "Patrick Schmid" <patrickschmid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:01:02 +0200

> There are actually many discussions concerning the differences between
> governments. However, I can hardly find any differences between
> nationalities. I think it would be good that these differences exist
> so that each game would be different provided that you choose such
> nationality or such one.
> At the time being, I choose at random.

Is it really a good idea to implement differences between nationalities?
This just produces stereotypes and prejudices.
For example:
The Germans would be probably very aggresive (2 world wars), the French
perhaps too (Napoleon), Russians would be also on the bad side (Stalin...),
Chinese perhaps too (human rights),...
And there would be some "good" nations, e.g. the Americans...

I think differing between nationalities would be contraproductive for a
world-wide project like Freeciv.

Patrick