Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Nationalities

To: patrickschmid@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Freeciv-Dev (E-Mail)" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Nationalities
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:00:06 -0500

Patrick Schmid wrote:

> Is it really a good idea to implement differences between nationalities?
> This just produces stereotypes and prejudices.
> For example:
> The Germans would be probably very aggresive (2 world wars), the French
> perhaps too (Napoleon), Russians would be also on the bad side (Stalin...),
> Chinese perhaps too (human rights),...
> And there would be some "good" nations, e.g. the Americans...
>
> I think differing between nationalities would be contraproductive for a
> world-wide project like Freeciv.

Yes and no.

"Yes" because no good is likely to come from trying to spread our parochial
misconceptions about other civilizations around the world by means of a game
implementation.

But "no", because it would be nice to have this feature for (e.g.) a Fantasy
modpack, where you would *want* the Orcs to be aggressive and the Melniboneans
to be perfectionist, and the AI would need some kind of flag if it were to
make distinctions in their behavior.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas