Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Nationalities

To: Patrick Schmid <patrickschmid@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Nationalities
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:22:01 +0200

On 1999-06-10 14:01:02, Patrick Schmid wrote:
> > There are actually many discussions concerning the differences between
> > governments. However, I can hardly find any differences between
> > nationalities. I think it would be good that these differences exist
> > so that each game would be different provided that you choose such
> > nationality or such one.
> > At the time being, I choose at random.
>
> Is it really a good idea to implement differences between nationalities?
> This just produces stereotypes and prejudices.
> For example:
> The Germans would be probably very aggresive (2 world wars), the French
> perhaps too (Napoleon), Russians would be also on the bad side (Stalin...),
> Chinese perhaps too (human rights),...
> And there would be some "good" nations, e.g. the Americans...
>
> I think differing between nationalities would be contraproductive for a
> world-wide project like Freeciv.

I agree...
And giving them different advantages might be a bad thing too since we
only want one player of each nation in a game... So You could gain a
advantage by picking Your nation first! *beeph* Wrong...

Races is a different thing but I prefer to forget about that for now... :)
(I'm trying to restructure the client - not a walk in the park :p )

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)