Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nationalities

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nationalities
From: Heikki Kantola <hezu@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 11:56:05 +0300

According to Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Matt Busigin wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Patrick Schmid wrote:
> > #I think differing between nationalities would be contraproductive for a
> > #world-wide project like Freeciv.
> >
> > My blood boiled a bit when Stalin was the selected as the default Russian
> > leader, and I would find it to be _very_ offensive if anyone started making
> > generalizations about certain civilizations.
>
> I don't think it would bother me particularly but I just don't see the
> point. FreeCiv is not a simulation of history and doesn't attempt to
> accurately reflect life.

Indeed, start with the fact that you can pick as your nation both
currently dead and living civilizations.

> > Having it randomly selected at the beginning of the game is a much better.
>
> I agree. Names of cities and leaders can be historically accurate, so long
> as they are changeable, but fixing the nations traits doesn't achieve
> anything.

Btw, I've one idea how we could make the nations more distinctive
without having different traits, namely I think it would be nice if
graphics of each nation had minor differences like different uniform
colours, Zulus having darker complexion, maybe Chinese and Mongols
having some Asian features etc.

--
Heikki "Hezu" Kantola, <Heikki.Kantola@xxxxxx>
Lähettämällä mainoksia tai muuta asiatonta sähköpostia yllä olevaan