Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
RE: [Freeciv-Dev] Nationalities

To: "'p=internet;a=telemax;c=no;dda:rfc-822=freeciv-dev(a)freeciv.org" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Freeciv-Dev] Nationalities
From: "Haugdahl, Stig" <stig.haugdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11 Jun 1999 09:28:03 +0200

> I think a way to handle this so as to avoid the stereotype problem
> would be to associate AI characteristics with _leaders_, and to
> allow multiple possible leaders (chosen randomly) for each race.

Or just randomize the leader's attitude at startup.

Civ2 uses a 3-dim space for nation characteristics:
Attack (1,0,-1) ranging from aggressive to rational
Expand (1,0,-1) from expansionist to perfectionist
Civilize (1,0,-1) from civilized to militaristic

In Civ2 the values are locked for each nation in a text file,
making it easy to create modpacks and scenarios. Better make
randomizing a server option. And other (more) vectors to span
the attitude space.

The leader attitude had no effect for human player, of course.
But the AI uses those values to set research goals, use of settlers,
what to build, tax rate, government, almost everything.
One of the problems with Freeciv is that you can always win
using the same strategy. When the AI opponents start to use different
strategies you will be forced to adapt your own. A Good Thing, IMHO.

stig