Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Nationalities

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Nationalities
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:56:30 -0400

Stephen Hodge (stephenh@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> I don't have a problem with your idea but I think we should be careful about
> stereotyping particular races with particular traits. Better would be to let
> users assign traits, and randomly generate them otherwise.

*Races* (or nations, or tribes, etc.) should not have personalities or
characteristics.  However, *leaders* should have personalities.  Thus,
the AI for Winston Churchill should play differently than then AI for
Elizabeth I, although both would be possible leaders of the English.

For a human, race selection should not matter, beyond cosmetic effects
(graphics and text).

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.