Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Small patch :o)

To: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Small patch :o)
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:06:57 +0200

On 1999-05-19 13:54:09, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote:
> On Wed, 19 May 1999, Daniel Sjolie wrote:
>

> > freeciv_hackers_guide.txt :
> >
> > [IMO we should have gotten rid of libxpm long ago. The graphics should
> > be drawn in 24bit, and then quantized runtime, if the client is
> > displayed
> > on a pseudocolor display.
>
> Yes and no.  To be able to do that quantization you have to load the 24bit
> gfx anyway and that uses up precious memory space if you happen to be
> running freeciv on an old X-Terminal.  Or something like that.

*grumble*

There seem to be two goals that freeciv tries to reach...
* being a portable game that can be played everywhere...
* being a great game including graphics and so on to increase the feeling...

Maybe we should consider a split?
The server shouldn't be a problem but I certainly want to be as free as
possible in adding stuff to the cilent...
We are coding this for fun and to me it's more often that not the latest
stuff that is the most fun...
Maybe we could have one client with Xaw and 64 colors and another with
gtk, 24bit color, sound, animations, threads and whatever we feel like
trying... This client and the media attached could be a separate
package... It wouldn't be hard to download and add...

I'm doing this for fun and the middle road is no fun...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)