Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Small patch :o)

To: deepone@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Small patch :o)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 22:45:51 +1000 (EST)

Daniel Sjolie wrote:

> freeciv_hackers_guide.txt :
>
> [IMO we should have gotten rid of libxpm long ago. The graphics should
> be drawn in 24bit, and then quantized runtime, if the client is
> displayed
> on a pseudocolor display.

> I agree 110% with that...

The main credible sounding suggestion for doing this that I
have seen is to use png format and use imlib for any required
quantization.  (There may be other ways to do it, I don't know.
Anyone?)  The GTK+ client now requires imlib anyway, so maybe
this is a viable option.

Personally I would like to keep an option to use xpms
(eg, at least with the Xaw client) since imlib would be an
even less palatable additional library to _require_ than
would glib.

(I guess this could make an additional incentive to have
the graphics completely separate from the main dist...)

> The current tile system should be converted to something like civ2's.
> They get away with drawing way less tiles, and it looks better. -PU]

Hmm, does this mean something like the dbennet tile system?

-- David