Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Small patch :o)

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: deepone@xxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Small patch :o)
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 14:22:39 +0100

David Pfitzner wrote:

> Daniel Sjolie wrote:
>
> > freeciv_hackers_guide.txt :
> >
> > [IMO we should have gotten rid of libxpm long ago. The graphics should
> > be drawn in 24bit, and then quantized runtime, if the client is
> > displayed
> > on a pseudocolor display.
>
> > I agree 110% with that...
>
> The main credible sounding suggestion for doing this that I
> have seen is to use png format and use imlib for any required
> quantization.  (There may be other ways to do it, I don't know.
> Anyone?)  The GTK+ client now requires imlib anyway, so maybe
> this is a viable option.
>
> Personally I would like to keep an option to use xpms
> (eg, at least with the Xaw client) since imlib would be an
> even less palatable additional library to _require_ than
> would glib.
>
> (I guess this could make an additional incentive to have
> the graphics completely separate from the main dist...)

I'm totally in favour of imlib-based 24-bit png graphics.  That's still
pretty easy on the CPU - my window manager is using 24-bit pngs, after
all, and it doesn't load my CPU detectably (K5 PR200 - not exactly
hot-stuff).

As you say, GTK requires it anyway, so this makes sense with the GTK
port.

So, I guess the question is: Fork the graphics subsystem, or standardise
on GTK?

> > The current tile system should be converted to something like civ2's.
> > They get away with drawing way less tiles, and it looks better. -PU]
>
> Hmm, does this mean something like the dbennet tile system?

I was confused by this comment too (I've never seen Civ 2) What does it
mean?

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |