Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Small patch :o)

To: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Small patch :o)
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 13:54:09 +0100 (WET DST)

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Daniel Sjolie wrote:

> freeciv_hackers_guide.txt :
>
> [IMO we should have gotten rid of libxpm long ago. The graphics should
> be drawn in 24bit, and then quantized runtime, if the client is
> displayed
> on a pseudocolor display.

Yes and no.  To be able to do that quantization you have to load the 24bit
gfx anyway and that uses up precious memory space if you happen to be
running freeciv on an old X-Terminal.  Or something like that.

> On 1999-05-19 12:59:13, Alexandre BERAUD wrote:
> > Have you ever seen a bug in a picture file ?
> > Thanx to David Pfitzner, I realized that the 64 colors
> > version I had posted yesterday was in fact a 256 colors
> > one.
> > So here is the REAL 64 Engel's palette one which is much
> > more horrible.
> > The graphical difference between 256 and 64 colors is
> > more marked than between 256 and full colors. The problem
> > comes that I don't use the 64 colors palette when drawing
> > and so the gfx are not optimized for it. But if I draw them
> > with the 64 colors palette, there will be no version for
> > people who want more than 64 colors.
> >
> > Once again, I think the solution would be a 256 colors
> > default tileset ! When commercial games display millions
> > of colors, Freeciv hardly displays 64. Don't tell me nobody
> > can have at least 256 colors now. For your information, I
> > can easily display all the colors but couldn't manage to
> > install the Gtk client, which will certainly be problematic
> > as a default client.

Actually you didn't yet manage to get gtk+ installed.  I know gtk+ can be
a pig to install if you don't know how.  It also happened to me in the
beggining.  Once all Linux distributions come with gtk+ installed by
default that will be less of a problem.
As a side note, if you think gtk+ is hard to install try installing
gnome...  Now THAT's hard to install... :-)

---
Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa, student @ Instituto Superior Tecnico,
Technical University of Lisbon - Software & Computer Engineering