Re: [Freeciv-Dev] split?

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] split?
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 08:00:18 +0100

Reinier Post wrote:

> On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 04:13:41PM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> > Reinier Post wrote:
>
> > > Only in 8 bits can I run the 2000x1500 resolution that is convenient
> > > for big Freeciv games.
> >
> > This doesn't make sense.
> >
> > You don't need your display to be in 24-bit to use 24-bit graphics.  We
> > are simply suggesting that the graphics be *stored* as 24-bit, on the
> > disk, and use imlib to draw them in whatever bitdepth, including 8-bit.
>
> (You can tell I know very little about graphics.)  If this will produce
> acceptable 8-bit colours without too much overhead, the only problem
> is the dependence on imlib.  One of Freeciv's strengths is the fact that
> it runs on practically every system with X and requires very little
> disk space, memory, or processor power.  Does the same hold for imlib?

You're correct.  The problem is the dependence on imlib.

To be honest, the only answer I can offer is experimentation.  It's true
that imlib will make life harder on our users, in that it requires a
positive cascade of other libraries.

On the other hand, these libraries are now quite standard - libtiff,
libjpeg, libpng - for example, new versions of netscape require them.

Probably the best approach is to implement this in the GTK version
(which already requires imlib), and then see whether or not users
continue to use the Xaw version.  If they do, then continue to support
it, I guess.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |