Re: [Freeciv-Dev] split?

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] split?
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 14:02:14 +0200

On 1999-05-20 13:38:24, Reinier Post wrote:
> > Go ahead!  No-one complained when people started a client using Java,
> > which would certainly have remained a separate client.
>
> I did complain in e-mail.

:)

> I'm in no position to argue with David, but it is surely more work to
> implement features for multiple clients at once.  It may be easier and
> more attractive to start a fresh client instead of trying to sort out
> and fix the problems with the existing ones, but in the long run you end
> up with 3 clients instead of 2 and someone else will stand up to start
> a 4th one because 'it needs to be done right'.

Which is not a bad thing really... :)
It's called competition...

Like KDE and Gnome...
Of course a lot of things are duplicated but there is a better chance of
improvements at the same time...

> > But you may
> > want to keep in mind one of the effective "rules" of open source
> > development: It is much easier to get people to contribute if you
> > have a working "base".  (Eg Mozilla; perhaps this was a problem
> > with the Java client?)  Which means _someone_ has to put in enough
> > work at the start to make the project viable.
>
> This is a special problem with Freeciv, because it only has a few regular
> contributors.

Yes, I am very aware of that...

> > > That is - the new client would not really aim at being the standard
> > > client... Not really... A standard but not the...
>
> If in the end you don't manage to replace at least one existing client,
> 3 clients will need to be maintained.  It's such a waste of effort ...

At wich time the ones not worth maintaining will die...
Freedom is a waste of effort most of the time...
Wouldn't it be a lot better if we just listened to our old people
instead of insisting on making our own mistakes... :)
It's human...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)