[Freeciv-Dev] split?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] split?
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:54:49 +0200

> > Yes and no.  To be able to do that quantization you have to load the 24bit
> > gfx anyway and that uses up precious memory space if you happen to be
> > running freeciv on an old X-Terminal.  Or something like that.

Like, just about any Sun workstation.

More importantly, it takes away plenty of Freeciv tiles!
Only in 8 bits can I run the 2000x1500 resolution that is convenient
for big Freeciv games.

> *grumble*
>
> There seem to be two goals that freeciv tries to reach...
> * being a portable game that can be played everywhere...
> * being a great game including graphics and so on to increase the feeling...
>
> Maybe we should consider a split?
>
> Maybe we could have one client with Xaw and 64 colors and another with
> gtk, 24bit color, sound, animations, threads and whatever we feel like
> trying...

*shudder*  For a moment I thought you were considering another split,
besides having two clients.  If the clients split nothing much will be
lost, or will it?

--
Reinier