Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Small patch :o)

To: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Small patch :o)
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:30:48 +0200

On 1999-05-19 14:22:39, Jules Bean wrote:
> David Pfitzner wrote:
> >
> > Daniel Sjolie wrote:
> >
> > > freeciv_hackers_guide.txt :
> > >
> > > [IMO we should have gotten rid of libxpm long ago. The graphics should
> > > be drawn in 24bit, and then quantized runtime, if the client is
> > > displayed
> > > on a pseudocolor display.
> >
> > > I agree 110% with that...
> >
> > The main credible sounding suggestion for doing this that I
> > have seen is to use png format and use imlib for any required
> > quantization.  (There may be other ways to do it, I don't know.
> > Anyone?)  The GTK+ client now requires imlib anyway, so maybe
> > this is a viable option.
> >
> > Personally I would like to keep an option to use xpms
> > (eg, at least with the Xaw client) since imlib would be an
> > even less palatable additional library to _require_ than
> > would glib.
> >
> > (I guess this could make an additional incentive to have
> > the graphics completely separate from the main dist...)
>
> I'm totally in favour of imlib-based 24-bit png graphics.  That's still
> pretty easy on the CPU - my window manager is using 24-bit pngs, after
> all, and it doesn't load my CPU detectably (K5 PR200 - not exactly
> hot-stuff).
>
> As you say, GTK requires it anyway, so this makes sense with the GTK
> port.
>
> So, I guess the question is: Fork the graphics subsystem, or standardise
> on GTK?

I think fork would be the best...

> > > The current tile system should be converted to something like civ2's.
> > > They get away with drawing way less tiles, and it looks better. -PU]
> >
> > Hmm, does this mean something like the dbennet tile system?
>
> I was confused by this comment too (I've never seen Civ 2) What does it
> mean?

I'm not sure (I don't know what dbennet is)...
I assumed that it would be something where You make a tile runtime by
putting 'building-blocks' together depending on adjacent terrains...
But actually - I'm not really sure how it is done today... : p

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)