Re: [Freeciv-Dev] split?

To: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] split?
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:08:58 +0100 (WET DST)

On 20 May 1999, Falk Hueffner wrote:

>     Jules> You're correct.  The problem is the dependence on imlib.
>
>     Jules> To be honest, the only answer I can offer is
>     Jules> experimentation.  It's true that imlib will make life
>     Jules> harder on our users, in that it requires a positive cascade
>     Jules> of other libraries.
>
>     Jules> On the other hand, these libraries are now quite standard -
>     Jules> libtiff, libjpeg, libpng - for example, new versions of
>     Jules> netscape require them.
>
> Does it really require all of them? We would use only one format I
> guess. most likely png. Can't imlib be build with only libpng?

Yes.  Imlib can be built without any extra libs (i think).  Imlib only
handles xpm~s and it~s own format this way.  To handle the extra formats
you install the other libraries.  The thing is by default the imlib rpm
packages, etc come with dependencies to those libs. i.e. compile the imlib
source yourself. :-)

---
Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa, student @ Instituto Superior Tecnico,
Technical University of Lisbon - Software & Computer Engineering