Re: [Freeciv-Dev] adding sound

To: Bastian Hecht <basti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] adding sound
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:13:39 +0100 (WET DST)

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Bastian Hecht wrote:

> With "running parallel", I meant to fork a process. It was annoying, when you
> can't
> continue
> playing while the sound was played.
>
> I'll add a option to turn on/off the sounds in "game/options". So, a bool
> variable
> will be set.
> Everywhere where a sound is appreciated a function < sound(SOUND_NO); > will
> be
> called.
> There is checked, if the variable is set. If it's disabled, the funtion
> returns
> immediatly, else
> the program tries to open the /dev/audio device and closes it after the sound
> was
> played.
> So it's always free when there's no sound.
> Well, if the /dev/audio is installed must be checked in configure (no idea
> how,
> remember, I'm
> really new to it, I've never programmed for a project).

Use esound instead.  It~s part of the gnome project and though it has its
fair share of bugs it handles lots of diferent sound file formats (WAV,
AIFF, etc) and means you don~t need to do that fork(), etc.

Per I Mathisen was working on sound support for the Freeciv client using
esound but i~ve not heard anything about it for a long time.

---
Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa, student @ Instituto Superior Tecnico,
Technical University of Lisbon - Software & Computer Engineering