Re: [Freeciv-Dev] adding sound

To: Bastian Hecht <basti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] adding sound
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 18:29:07 -0400

On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 11:44:51PM +0200, Bastian Hecht was heard to say:
> Thanks for the advice! I'm quite new to unix programming, so I didn't know
> the possibility.
> I wrote a small piece of code and it works fine. I'm going to try to run
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> it parallel to the client
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> program, so that the user needn't wait until the sound is completely
  ^^^^^^^
> played.
> So far, I added some combat sounds and a sound, when a city is built.
> Looks quite easy..
>
>  basti

  [putting on flamesuit]

  Has anyone considered esound?  This does pretty much what you're trying to
do already, and since it's not written for a specific program you don't lock
everyone else out of using the sound device (just programs that don't know
about it and that don't work with the wrapper script--that's not many and in
fact esd can unlock the audio device while it's not playing noises).  I know
that it's less portable than freeciv, but it should be able to work on most
unicies at least (basti mentioned that he's just doing this for unicies?).
Actually a better method would be to write a generic set of calls to play
sounds..eg..  (warning: silly interface coming up, please make the real thing
much more sophisticated than this)

sounds.h:
#define ELEPHANT_NOISE 12

void sound_activate(int sound_num);

someotherfile.c:
   /* Elephant is attacking */
   sound_activate(ELEPHANT_NOISE);

  and then use configure checks to enable/disable various sound backends.  ...he
says without writing a line of code...

  Daniel

--
   It is hard to think of anything less sentient than a pumpkin.

             -- Terry Pratchett, _Witches Abroad_