[Freeciv-Dev] Corruption and Famine

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: lebelage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Corruption and Famine
From: Michael Gastright <gastrig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 23:23:15 +0000

Greetings,

This is my first time posting to this list, so forgive me if I repeat

In our Freeciv group there are a few things about play that is very
annoying.  To this end, we have develeoped some work-arounds that may be
worth considering for the real version.

The first problem is Corruption.  There is no easy way to gague how much
corruption is facing your Civ at any point in time.  The only way to get
that data now is to go city by city.  That is fine, except we like games
to move along at a rate to makes doing that prohibitive.  So, we added a
column to our clients that includes corruption.  This was very easy to
do.  If I understood CVS, I would be happy to give you the CVS output
for it (any one want to give me a some pointers?).  Al in all, it took
less than about 6 lines of code.  The changes were made in
client/cityrep.c, struct city_report_spec city_report_specs and a new
function cr_entry_corruption.

The second problem we had was the follwing message: "Famine feared,
settlers lost".  Why is this the first time we heard about this
problem?  So, we decided instead to add two messages (both keyed off of
the E_CITY_FAMINE message type).  The first is a message that lets you
know that a city is in negative food.  The second message warns of
impending famine BEFORE it actually occurs.  All of this code is
together in the same place in the same module (the other fix is in the
same module, but the code is spread out a bit).  The changes here are in
server/cityturn.c, fucntion city_populate.

If anyone is interested in these or have any other comments, please feel
free to drop me a line.  I just subscribed to the freeciv-dev list, so
you may also want to drop me an e-mail @ gastrig@xxxxxxxxx too (just in
case).

Later,

Michael Gastright
FreeCiv Addic

PS:  We have other suggestions, but these are the only two implimented
so far.